Toy Hunter: Neighborhood Edition

Over the past week, I've discovered and watched the entire first season of the Travel Channel show Toy Hunter. If you've seen American Pickers on the History Channel, it's pretty much the same concept -- except it's all about toys. I'm not really sure why I didn't watch this show sooner -- especially considering 90% of the toys featured on the show are from the era I grew up in. But anyway...

The host of Toy Hunter, Jordan Hembrough, travels the country dealing in vintage toys. Sometimes he comes across pieces that are common and other times pieces that are borderline priceless. So who better to consult regarding my own personal holy grail -- the late 1970's Neighborhood of Make-Believe Playset.

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I was able to get a message out via Twitter which Jordan kindly replied to within minutes. Honestly, I was somewhat hoping to hear that he had never heard of this playset. If he'd never seen one, I'd be okay with the fact that I've never seen one.

No such luck.


So a guy who deals in vintage toys every day has only seen one of these in fifteen years?!? With this in mind, I'm reminded of a line from Dumb & Dumber: "So you're telling me there's a chance?"

It's out there, people. It's out there.

5 comments:

Rich said...

Wow, good luck tracking down one!

ShezCrafti said...

For reals, good luck! That thing looks like it has a ton of pieces, too. I hope if/when you do find one, it's complete.

leftylimbo said...

Dood, this is one of those things that you'll find at a random yard sale for $10. =) Either that or maybe some vendor at the San Diego Comic-Con might have it and not know what it is...hmm. Best of luck to ya.

whiskeyblood said...

Awesome! If you ever find it I'll leave a standing offer of $10 anytime you decide to sell it, I'll cover shipping too! ;) If I run across one you'll be the first to know!

TL said...

I'd need at least $12.