A First and Final Word on Hostess

I know that when news broke of Hostess shutting down, there were some people who rushed out and bought up every Ding Dong and Snowball they could get their grubby hands on.

I was not one of those people.

Although I will definitely miss the Hostess brand, I'm confident that my favorite products will be bought up by another company and I'll be able to continue indulging in the occasional frozen Ding Dong.

Still, I hit the local grocery story this evening for a few random items and happened by the mostly empty shelves that were once home to infinite Hostess goodness. That's when nostalgia got the best of me. I spied a bag of chocolate Donettes. You know the ones I'm talking about.


Sure there are other brands of these donuts available that look and taste exactly the same. But I had to buy these one last time. Not because they're so awesome (which they are) but because of a picture -- one of my favorite pictures ever taken of my brother and me.


A winter morning in 1979. Hostess donuts and milk.

And just like that...they're gone.

1 comment:

ShezCrafti said...

What a great photo. It's crazy how we don't seem to realize our own affection for mundane things like Twinkies and Donettes until we can't get them anymore.