High School Mixtape

The League of Extraordinary Bloggers has gone musical this week:
What songs were forever being looped on your car’s stereo back in high school. A cassette could only hold a dozen or so songs, so that’s the magic number of songs to list.
I'm going at this two ways. First of all, what better way to talk about mixtapes from high school than with an actual mixtape from high school?!? While many people might consider this League assignment an opportunity to flaunt their obsucre teenage tastes, I have no shame. Also, keep in mind that my brother occasionally worked at the local radio station which is where this tape was (mostly) compiled. These are not songs that were favorites from my personal collection but rather songs that I wanted but didn't have immediate access to at home.

So here goes. An acutal Tim Lybarger Joint (yes, this is seriously what I called my mixtapes in high school...a nod, of course, to Spike Lee).


SIDE 1
  • What's It All About? - Run DMC
  • Flex - Mad Cobra
  • Boot Scootin' Boogie (Dance Mix) - Brooks and Dunn
  • Back to the Hotel - N2Deep
  • When I Look Into Your Eyes - Firehouse
  • I Was a King - Shabba Ranks (f. Eddie Murphy)
  • How About That - Bad Company
  • People Everyday (remix) - Arrested Development
  • Steam - Peter Gabriel
  • Who's the Man? - Heavy D & the Boyz
  • Deeper and Deeper - Madonna
SIDE 2
  • House Call - Shabba Ranks
  • Trailor Load of Girls - Shabba Ranks
  • Open Arms - Journey
  • Gangsta - Bel Biv Devoe
  • Push It - Salt-n-Pepa
  • Never Say Goodbye - Guardian
  • Forever and a Day - Guardian
  • Informer - Snow
  • Somebody to Shove - Soul Asylum
  • Champion Sound - Snow
  • 50 Ways - Snow
  • The Rhyming Game - Ernie & Bert
This tape was made sometime around my sophomore year in high school. This wasn't music to drive by.

By the time I turned sixteen and was driving around with music playing in my car, my tastes had changed significantly (and for the better, I might add). So with this week's League assignment in mind, here are ten songs you definitely would have heard in my car around '93-ish.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I still love every one of these tracks. More than I can say for that sophomore year mixtape.

Check out the mixtapes of some other League bloggers: Goodwill Hunting 4 Geeks, Green Plastic Squirt Gun, Monster Cafe, Toyriffic...

13 comments:

Brothermidnight said...

Iv never heard of Guardian.

TL said...

Brothermidnight -- Guardian was a Christian metal band that one of my neighbors really liked.

Tommy said...

Oh man, Informer...

TL said...

As if one snow song was not awesome enough, I had to put three on my tape.

Paxton said...

Wow, Tim, we had similar tastes in music per your last list of songs.

Amazing.

I love that you still have that. I think I have one as well. I'm going to dig it out of my garage.

TL said...

Pax -- Looking forward to seeing if you come up with a tape. Nice to know we're on the same musical wavelength...

Michael Lewandowski said...

Elroy.. Elroy.. Elroy Cohen, gets the Gas Face! - a classic!

TL said...

What do we think about Hammer?!?

Brian (Cool and Collected) said...

The Rhyming Game? ummm... I was going to give you flack for that one, until I realized it would be kind of fun to have that pop up randomly in a playlist on my ipod. Headed to itunes now. ;)

TL said...

Brian -- That was a rule with any mixtape I made. Always wrap it up with something random...

Paxton said...

Tim,

Your list reminded me of 3rd Bass. Hadn't listened to the Cactus Album in years. Pulled it out. Gas Face is awesome as is Brooklyn-Queens, Steppin' to the AM and Triple Stage Darkness.

I found my mixtape. Actually found about 5 of them. Picked one at random. I also have a Young Black Teenagers track on mine. It'll drop on Thursday.

Pax

TL said...

Love YBT! I'm hoping "Outta My Head" is the track on your tape!

ShezCrafti said...

This could have been one of my mixtapes! Granted, I wasn't yet in high school at the time these songs were popular, but I remember & loved them just the same. You and I even have similar handwriting. o_O