Hand in Hand. Across the Nation.

It's the time of year when the grills are hot, the beers are cold, and flags are flying on front porches all across town. Leading into the 4th of July, the League of Extraordinary Bloggers has been asked:
What movie, TV show, comic book, etc. makes you want to stand up and salute Old Glory?
In thinking about this topic, strangely enough, the first thing that came to mind was something I remember reading in TV Guide when I was a kid (maybe around 1987?). Although I never saw it on the show (and I definitely tried to see it), there was supposedly a subliminal message of partiotism hidden in the first episode of the animated ALF series. A quick Google search and sure enough, there was the image I remember seeing in the TV Guide article.


I realized that I have a copy of this episode as an extra feature on the ALF Season 2 set so I put it in to see this first hand. Sure enough, it's right there. The image only appears for a fraction of a second, but it's there. You can watch for yourself on YouTube.

There's also tons of great music out there that makes me feel proud of my country and equally proud of my freedom to have political views that may or may not be the same as the person standing next to me.
Will Hoge's America EP is always one of my favorite things to listen to when I'm feeling even remotely patriotic.



Then there's Todd Snider who's always right on point when it comes to interpretting the current state of our country.


But what really gets me fired up about America? I'm talking about the land of the free! The home of the brave! Super highways coast to coast! Smokestacks and fatback and many miles of railroad tracks!

You'd better believe it!!


Nothing gets me jacked up for my country like the Godfather for Soul - JAMES BROWN!




I dare you to watch this video and not feel proud of the red, white, and blue.

Apollo Creed may disagree.


Take a look in the comments section over at 
Cool and Collected and see what brings out the patriotism in other League members.

No comments: