Fist Pumpin' the Dukes!

This week, the League of Extraordinary Bloggers are asked:
What media announcement had you throwing fist pumps and doing roundhouse kicks in the air? Did the final result live up to your dreams?
I can think of two times in particular that I have actually fist pumped in the literal sense. One was back in 1999 during Game 3 of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals. The Knicks were down three to the Pacers with just over ten seconds left in the game when Larry Johnson tossed up somewhat of a prayer of a shot from beyond the arc. The shot went down and LJ was fouled on the play, hit the ensuing free throw, and the Knicks won the game.

I admit, when his three fell, I leaped from my seat and threw my fists in the air putting one right into a moving ceiling fan. No harm done...to me or the fan. More than I can say for the Pacers.


The other time was just about a year ago. Watching Monday Night Raw (yes, I watch wrestling when I have the chance), viewers anticipated the announcement of the guest host for upcoming Wrestlemania XXVII. The lights went down...and then...


Yes. I pumped my fist when the Rock returned. And yes, the hair on my arms still stands up every time I watch this clip.

But figurative fist pumping after some sort of media announcement? While I certainly fist pumped when I heard that The War at Home and According to Jim had been cancelled, these celebrations paled in comparison to when I caught news of plans for a big-screen Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Let me be clear. I hate going to the movie theater. Hate. With a capital P and that stands for “pool.” Between people who can’t shut up and watch the movie and/or feel the need to use their cell phones in any capacity once the lights go down and the ridiculously high prices, I couldn’t care less if I ever set foot in a movie theater again in my life.

That being said, there have been a few exceptions to that rule. Being the music-snob that my wife tells me I am, I did go see Walk the Line in the theater. Then just a few years ago, we took our oldest daughter to her first movie at the theater and saw Tangled. But other than that, the only other movie that has gotten me to the theater in the past decade was the Dukes of Hazzard.

Much like many kids from our generation, my brother and I grew up idolizing the Duke boys. We were proud of our belt buckles. We crashed up our Matchbox cars. We never thought twice about using the word “ain’t.” So imagine my excitement when twenty years after the original show aired its last episode I heard that Bo and Luke were coming to the big screen!

The day the movie opened, I was in line for the first showing just after noon. I got my Dr. Pepper and my box of Mike and Ikes and had my pick of the seats as there were only about ten other people brave enough to admit that they too were excited about this movie.

I knew there was no way for Hollywood to duplicate the original Duke boys – Coy and Vance taught us that – so I went into this movie with a very open mind and the lowest of expectations. Of course, this movie was never expected to win any awards nor has it become one of my all-time favorites...but was I disappointed? Not at all. I was as happy as a june bug in a pie eatin' contest...or something like that.

Bo and Luke were a little more slapstick in the movie than I would have preferred, but considering the film was based on a television show where a car jumps over a silo, that was easy to accept. Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville were fine choices for Bo and Luke and no question Jessica Simpson easily fit the role of a modern-day Daisy. Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse and Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg were just gravy on the taters.

When it came time for the Karate Kid to be redone, I stayed home and waited for the DVD. Same with the A-Team movie. I was excited for both (A-Team movie was awesome. Karate Kid remake, not so much), but not enough to hit the theater. That was excitment only the Dukes could muster up.

Now cuff 'em and stuff 'em.

As always, head over to Cool and Collected for a full list of this week's League participants.

2 comments:

Paxton said...

Oh wow. What a great call on the announcement of The Rock as Wrestlemania host. That clip is EPIC.

TL said...

Paxton -- Seriously. I still get chills from start to finish of that clip.